Wednesday 6 March 2013

A Cannibal and a Vampire = The World's Most Evil Couple = A Match Made in Hell


I am really not very good at keeping up with this blog. As much as I hate to admit it I am a lot better at keeping up with things if I actually have to handwrite them. Anyways, on to the actual blog post!

My group project is on endocannibalism. We are doing a comparison between the Australian Aborigines and the Brazilian Amazons. Under “endocannibalism” in the Encyclopedia Britannica (http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/186851/endocannibalism) you can find the following; “In some cases, the body of a dead person was ritually eaten by his relatives, a form called endocannibalism. Some Aboriginal Australians performed such practices as acts of respect. In other cases, ritual cannibalism occurred as a part of the drama of secret societies.”

While I was looking at the endocannibalism among the Australian Aborigines I found a ceremony in which they drank another’s blood. This made me think about the definition of cannibalism. Cannibalism, by definition, is the eating of another of the same species’ flesh. But what about the blood? This made me think about vampirism. Vampirism, I suppose, can be associated with cannibalism, or it can be quite separate.

While I was looking at various articles and websites I came upon this article about a couple in a psychiatric hospital in Sweden (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2094724/Cannibal-ate-girlfriend-finds-love-vampire-bars-psychiatric-unit.html). Another article same story but entertaining narrative (http://gawker.com/5881668/). The man, Isakin, decapitated and ate his girlfriend, and the woman Michelle, stabbed and drank her boyfriend’s blood. Both Isakin and Michelle posted online about what they had done, which imminently led to their arrests. They also both opted for indefinite psychiatric treatment rather than a life sentence. They had internet and cellphone access and that is how they started “dating” and later got engaged.

Experts say that there is no chance that they will be released, even in a country as liberal as Sweden is. They both have posted online about their relationship and say that they just want to live a happy normal crime-free life. (I cannot for the life of me find anything else online about them apart from newspaper articles about the initial engagement; probably because anything else has either been removed or is not in English.) The article says that the court had not yet decided whether to allow them to marry or not, and I cannot find anywhere whether they did end up getting married or not. Perhaps no decision has been made yet.

So…what do I have to say about this? I think that they are lucky to be in such a liberal country as Sweden, that much is for sure! They are allowed cellphones and internet, not to mention they escaped a life sentence in jail for what seems like a cushy psychiatric hospital! The popular view from the comments that I read under the newspaper article is that Isakin and Michelle are probably safer in the psychiatric hospital than they would be if they were let out. I wish I could have found something more on them other than the one main article.

I know this blog post doesn’t have much to do with the Archaeology of Death, but I couldn’t help it, I just found it fascinating! They are as quoted “the world’s most evil couple”, and it’s been over a year since they got engaged and I haven’t seen or heard anything else about them. A vampire and a cannibal getting together? What could be more interesting?! I wonder what their life would actually be like if they were let out (and no one else murdered them!). I really doubt that they would lead a “normal” life though. But I bet they could work well together…

No comments:

Post a Comment