Thursday 31 January 2013

My Body After I Die



First off I would like to say that I do not want to be buried when I die. There are two options that I am considering. The first option is to be cremated and half my ashes thrown off the Midnight Dome in Dawson City and the other half thrown into the ocean off of Separation Point in New Zealand. The second option is to donate my body to science. These are both quite different options.

The reason I don't want to be buried is because I don't like to think of myself rotting in a box six feet under. Also, I do not want to become a ghost. Don't laugh. I don't really believe in ghosts BUT I'm not going to take the chance that I'm wrong. I don't want to become anything else (such as a zombie) except for ashes in the wind and ocean. Then I can travel the world!

My reasoning for these two options are as follows:
Cremation and ashes divided between Canada and New Zealand;
-I love both of these countries so much I could never decide on one of the other, and I'd like to think that I'd forever be a part of  both places.
-The Midnight Done in Dawson City is the most beautiful place during summer solstice. Actually, it is beautiful all the time. You can see so far in every direction of the valley. In summer the sun doesn't really go down so the sunset and sunrise are so close together it's truly amazing.
-My house is in Dawson City, and my family's gold mine is not too far away. So throwing my ashes off of the dome I'd forever be in an area that I spent so much time in when I was growing up and I have so many great memories there.
-Separation Point in New Zealand is the point that separates Golden Bay from Tasman Bay. You have to hike out to the point and it’s beautiful. You can see Farewell Spit and Mt. Taranaki (on a clear day) as well as both bays. My house is in Golden Bay and my Grannies house is in Nelson. My time in New Zealand is spent mostly in these two bays and if my ashes are thrown at Separation point then I could be in the two bays forever (well obviously not, due to the ocean moving my ashes around, but it’s the thought that counts; and anyway I would get to visit new places).

Body donated to science;
-My Grandma did this when she died and I thought that it was a great idea. She also didn't want a funeral but asked her family and friends to have a party in her honour. I also want this as I hate funerals. I’d much rather my family and friends get drunk and have a grand old time telling ridiculous stories about me.
-The best way for students to learn is by seeing and using the real thing, so donating your body to science is really good because you are helping students to learn in a better way.
-Many universities (med-schools) look for body donations; it depends in which country I die on which university that I would donate my body too. I’m not sure which universities in Canada do this (if any?) but in New Zealand I would donate my body to the Otago School of Medical Science because it is the best med-school in New Zealand and it is also where my Grandma donated her body.
-I’m not sure what they do when they are done with the bodies but I’m sure that whatever it is I’ll be ok with it (as I’ll be dead and won’t care, and I’d probably be all chopped up anyways!). Maybe I could be donated to science and then cremated after they are done with me? Then I could have both options!

Because of what I want done to my body when I die I don’t think archaeologists will be getting a lot of information from my remains. I don’t want anything included in my cremation, and I’m sure the med-students don’t want any of my personal items donated with me. I imagine that my family might have something cremated with me but it would almost definitely just be a picture of the family. My family aren't big on funerals and such and we are not religious so there wouldn't be much fuss about anything being cremated with me. I agree with them on all accounts so there would be no conflict with my identity. And that pretty much sums up everything! 

1 comment:

  1. great post - very personal ! I also find it neat that your grandma donated her body to science

    ReplyDelete